Mackay Tiger Moth Museum Inc.

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Our Tiger Moth VH-IVN

VH-IVN

Our  1st Tiger Moth DH82A (s/n EM 945) was built at Cowley in England in 1943 by Morris Motors (the same company who built Morris cars). The aircraft was then commissioned into the Royal Navy in England as a training aircraft.

In 1952 the Tiger was placed on the British Civil Register. In 1953 the aircraft was shipped to New Zealand and registered ZK-BBF and operated in the aerial agricultural industry as a crop duster but did not see a great deal of service due to a couple of crashes and spent a period of time in hangars.

In 1991 Mr Ivan Unwin of Yeppoon (formally Mackay) purchased the Tiger moth with the aim of restoring the aircraft. In 1994 the Mackay Tiger Moth required a replacement aircraft and purchased the aircraft from Mr Unwin. By this time the aircraft  had only flown a total of just under 1000 hours.

The Museum painted the Tiger a bright yellow colour being the base colour used by the RAAF on their training Tiger Moths during the Second World War.

In January 2000 the Tiger Moth Museum adopted the RAAF markings A17-302 of a Tiger Moth which was flown by a Mackay flying instructor Sqn Ldr Fred Christensen and operated at the following locations:

1941 - Central Flying School - Camden NSW

1942 - No 5 Elementary Flying Training School - Narromine NSW

1943 - No 8 Elementary Flying Training School - Narrandera NSW

1944 - No 7 Elementary Flying Training School - Western Junction TAS

In January 2000 the Museum's Tiger Moth was christened the "City of Mackay" by Mayor Cr. Julie Boyd to reinforce its local identity as a community owned aircraft operated by a group of volunteers.


VH-CYA (Our New Tiger Moth)

In November 2010 the Museum purchased a second Tiger Moth VH-CYA and flew it from Luskintyre in May 2011 to Mackay. Where it was christened “David and Irie Dalrymple” by David and Irie Dalrymple on 24.7.2011

 

VH-CYA: DH 82A Constructor's number 986, built to RAAF ordered as A17-551.

The aircraft was then commissioned into the Royal Australian Air Force and delivered with long-range fuel tanks to 2 Aircraft depot Richmond on 29.06.1942 and its history is as follows

 

1942 - Served with 34 Sqn at Manbulloo

1942 - Blown over in a violent local wind storm Manbulloo

1942 - Repaired at 1 RSU Manbulloo

1942 - Dispatched by road and rail to GAL Parafield for further repair

1943 - 5 Elementary Flying Training School Narromine for storage

1943 - 1 Rescue and Communications Squadron Milne Bay

1943 - 1 Rescue and Communications Squadron Goodenough Island

1943 - 8 Communications Unit Goodenough Island

1944 - 13 Aircraft / Airframe Repair Depot Breddan

1944 - 34 Squadron Doctors Gully for communications use by 76 Wing

1945 - 14 Aircraft / Airframe Repair Depot Gorrie

1945 - 10 Elementary Flying Training School Temora for storage

1946 - Care and Maintenance Unit Temora

1947 - 2 Aircraft Depot Richmond

1952 - DeHavilland Aircraft Pty Ltd Bankstown for overhaul

1952 - Base Squadron East Sale

1953 - Crashed at East Sale

1954 - 2 Aircraft Depot Richmond

1955 - 1 Aircraft Depot Detachment Tocumwal for storage

1955 - 1 Basic Flying Training School Uranquinty

1956 - 1 Aircraft Depot Detachment B Tocumwal for storage

1957 - Listed for disposal and Issued to purchaser

1958 - Registered as VH-CYA

Stayed in N.S.W. For many years around Gilgandra and used as a crop duster. Eventually retired from work and restored by private owners to it's present condition.